DEPARTMENT: EMERGENCY DISASTER SERVICES
POSITION TITLE: DISASTER CASE MANAGER
REPORTS TO: DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF DISASTER SERVICES
STATUS: FULL-TIME NON-EXEMPT
The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church and the ultimate goal of all programs is spiritual regeneration of all people.
The Salvation Army is an equal opportunity employer.
This position provides direct case management services to disaster survivors of the Caldor Fires and their families through advocacy, information and referral, crisis intervention services, and recovery services. Offices located in Cameron Park, CA. Personal Vehicle required for regular travel.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree or at least three years of relevant case management experience in the social services field.
• Previous disaster experience a plus.
• Preferably will have the knowledge of social services and local resources with demonstrated ability to provide referral information to meet individual and family needs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Knowledge of social service delivery systems
• Knowledge of County resources
• Good organizational time-management and communication skills
• Possess the ability to work well independently as well as part of a team.
• Detail oriented
• Self-motivated and able to work effectively and efficiently with a minimum of supervision
• Team player
• Excellent telephone skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain poise under pressure
• Customer service mindset
• Must be able to communicate effectively both written and orally with other staff, clients, and the greater public
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills, with emphasis on effectively working in a team environment and with a diverse population
• Must be able to cooperate with The Salvation Army policies and procedures
and possess a willingness to follow these as required by The Salvation Army headquarters and administration
• Must be proficient in typing, organizing and filing.
• Must have a working knowledge of budgeting and general knowledge of business protocols
• Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to pass TSA MVR check and in-house driving test
• Must complete and adhere to Protecting the Mission requirements and guidelines, including the ability to pass a TSA background check
• Ability and willingness to keep information confidential
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office operating system required with a required knowledge of Word and Excel
• Microsoft PowerPoint, and Publisher, helpful
• Demonstrated experience working with email software Outlook required.
• Working knowledge of integrated database applications and ability to use new software programs with basic training
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conducts, thorough needs assessment and develops a recovery plan to address identified disaster related un-met needs.
• Providing relevant information and affective referrals for clients as part of a comprehensive and mutually agreed upon recovery plan
• Develops a relationship with client families so as to provide the best advocacy and direction to these families to ensure their reaching self-sufficiency.
• Assess unmet needs for disaster survivors in order to develop a recovery plan.
• Develops implements and monitors recovery plans with disaster survivors and their families to return at a minimum to pre-disaster level of well-being.
• Assists and documents the survivor to determine the best course of action for both short- and long-term recovery.
• Make referrals and act as an advocate to assist disaster survivors access needed services, including public and private benefits and community resources.
• Collect, compile, report and maintain necessary data for TSA statistics and reporting to funders.
• Input all required data into Salvation Army databases
• Provides extensive and intensive case management and follow-up services.
• Provides crisis intervention to individuals and families facing emergencies around food, shelter, medical, re-construction and other needs as presented by client.
• Utilizes knowledge of the resources available at all levels of government (federal, state and local), as well as government and community resources to make appropriate referrals to resolve identified issues.
• Mobilizes resources to achieve desired outcomes in accordance with service plan goals
• Maintain timely input and upkeep of client records
• Conducts home visits as necessary.
• Advocates and interacts with other service providers on behalf of participants.
• Ensures complete case files and presents case files to Case Management Supervisor for review;
• Maintains current and accurate documentation of services provided to clients.
• Identifies and connects disaster survivors to resources on the local, state, and federal level.
• Assists clients in applying for and receiving public and private benefits.
• Network with Long Term Recovery group and the community to provide referrals and resources to participants.
• Acting as a liaison to internal programs, external collaborations, and funding entities
• Represents The Salvation Army and its programs at meetings and events in a respectful and positive manner.
• Attends meetings and events as required by the EDS Director and/or Deputy Director
• Comply with Salvation Army procedural requirements, including those set forth in the Policy & Procedure Manual and Employee Handbook.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or continuous basis
• Ability to grasp, push, pull objects such as files, file cabinet drawers, and reach overhead
• Ability to operate and effectively communicate over a telephone
• Ability to operate a desktop or notebook computer
• Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. (usually boxes or bags)
• Ability to access and produce information from a computer
• Ability to understand written (printed or handwritten) information
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle
• Ability to sweep, clean, shovel snow, and perform other janitorial tasks as needed.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is a reasonable and no undue hardship would result.