POSITION: TAM Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Roseville Corps
LOCATION: Roseville, CA
SUPERVISOR: Lt. Henry Oliveira
STATUS: Part-Time-Non Exempt
The Salvation Army Mission Statement:
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love for God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
The purpose of this position is to aid inaction, implementation, and administration of the Tutoring and Mentoring Afterschool Program. The specific duties include program development, participation in staff development, and offsite collaborations. The Assistant will provide a safe, nurturing, and will-supervised after school program; be the liaison with parents, volunteers, and donors to display the site and the program positively. This position is responsible for planning and development of the creative learning environment, establishment of interest centers, and preparation of needed materials and supplies. In addition, the Assistant is responsible for the collection of program data, providing reports data as requested. The Assistant’s ability to establish authority through leadership, communication, and most importantly patience, will be required in giving participants the stability and nurturing atmosphere they need to succeed. The Assistant is directly responsible for creating a positive, fun atmosphere and increasing membership base. The TAM Assistant shall also represent The Salvation Army Roseville in the community and serve on site and/ or organization committees, as needed/requested.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Pick up students from designated locations using a Salvation Army vehicle.
- Provide homework assistance to students.
- Teach students study skills, note-taking skills, and test-taking strategies.
- Organize tutoring environment to promote productivity and learning.
- Develop teaching or training materials, such as handouts, study materials, or quizzes.
- Prepare lesson plans or learning modules for tutoring sessions according to students' needs and goals.
- Collaborate with students, parents, teachers, school administrators, or counselors to determine student needs, develop tutoring plans, or assess student progress.
- Supervise volunteer tutors/mentors for DPBC/TAM Program.
- Prepare and facilitate tutoring workshops, collaborative projects, or academic support sessions for small groups of students.
- Provide feedback to students using positive reinforcement techniques to encourage, motivate, or build confidence in students.
- Maintain records of students' assessment results, progress, feedback, or school performance, ensuring confidentiality of all records.
- Provide private instruction to individual or small groups of students to improve academic performance, improve occupational skills, or prepare for academic or occupational tests.
- Monitor student performance or assist students in academic environments, such as classrooms, laboratories, or computing centers.
- Communicate students' progress to students, parents or teachers in written progress reports, in person, by phone, or by email
- Assess students' progress throughout tutoring sessions.
- Administer, proctor, or score academic or diagnostic assessments.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to create and implement fun, engaging developmentally appropriate activities in the areas of common core, character development, project-based learning, stream, fitness and recreation, academics/enrichment.
- Responsible for immediately reporting and documenting any and all injuries or incidents utilizing established PTM procedures for notification to parents and The Salvation Army administration.
- Implementation and successful delivery of The Salvation Army programs.
- Maintain cleanliness in all program areas, including the upkeep of the equipment and facility in an acceptable manner and the seasonal set-up and storage of program equipment and supplies.
- You must go to all the schools that are in our area that would Include K through 12 grades.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
- It is preferred that the Assistant possess a BA/BS (But not Required). But you must have 2-3 years’ experience in developing and implementing enrichment programs.
- Ability to speak and write standard English appropriate in a public-school setting.
- Must pass criminal background check and complete annual PTM training for working with minors.
- First Aid and CPR certification preferred.
- Possess strong computer skills, have the ability to track data and produce reports.
- Possess excellent communication, supervisory, administrative, and fiscal management skills.
- At least six months experience working with youth in a classroom, after school, or recreation environment.
- Strong Math and English skills (K-12).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must possess a valid California Class C Driver License, and ability to drive a Salvation Army vehicle
- Must be 21 years or older.
- Complete The Salvation Army vehicle course training.
- Ability to sit, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, and twist on an intermittent or sometimes continuous basis
- Ability to grasp, push, and/or pull objects
- Ability to reach overhead
- Ability to operate telephone
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. for administrative positions
- Ability to lift up to 50-70 lbs. for positions that require lifting
- Ability to operate a computer
- Ability to process written, visual, and/or verbal information
- Ability to operate basic office equipment and tools PC, Fax Machine, Telephone, Calculator, Copier, Printer.
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed would not result in undue hardship.