Under the supervision of the Communications and Marketing Director, the Digital Communications Specialist creates compelling messages and highly visual multimedia content to promote the Museum’s exhibitions, public programs, and educational offerings through the Museum’s website, social media, e-newsletters, and other online applications.
- Create and maintain an engaging presence for the Museum on multiple social media platforms with a regular schedule of highly visual posts to promote Museum activities, share mission-related content, and increase the Museum’s social media following
- Manage all day-to-day aspects of social media, from copywriting and creation of digital assets - including photos, videos, and motion graphics - to scheduling, posting, commenting and following key accounts
- Strategize with the Communications and Marketing Director to define key metrics and conceptualize new engagement strategies
- Collaborate with all Museum departments to create content that represents the broad scope of Museum activities
- Keep abreast of current trends to expand Museum’s social media presence to new platforms as appropriate
- Ensure optimal usability, accessibility, and a consistent institutional voice across web and social media channels
- Oversee the upkeep of the Museum’s website, including making content updates, creating new pages, and archiving old pages to ensure all sections of the website are consistently up to date
- Monitor and update external partners’ sites, ensuring that calendar and information listings are always current
- Use analytics to increase social media engagement
- Other duties as required
Required Technical Skills:
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop required, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere a plus), Canva, and iPhone editing software (e.g., Splice, InShot)
- Word Press CMS
- Constant Contact & email database management
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & other social media platforms
- YouTube & livestream technologies
- Two years of professional experience in social media and digital content production
- Exceptional visual storytelling and production skills across mediums and platforms
- Strong graphic design skills and eye for visual composition
- Demonstrated proficiency with image and video production and editing
- Ability to plan and execute all aspects of social media campaigns
- Strong writing and editorial skills with impeccable attention to consistency, accuracy, and detail
- Creativity, flexibility, and a collaborative work ethic
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, graphic design, or a related field preferred
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster or an approved exemption
- Fluency in English required; bilingual English/Spanish a plus
Full time non-exempt, reports to Communications and Marketing Director. Typical work hours Mon.-Fri. 9:00 am- 5:30 pm. with occasional evening and weekend hours to cover events and programs. Benefits include vacation, employer-subsidized health plan, dental insurance and 401(k) savings plan with matching. Position is eligible for up to 40% remote work upon request. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, resume, three work samples and three professional references in one Adobe Acrobat PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
About California Museum:
The California Museum is dedicated to diversity, inclusion, accessibility and equity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ability/disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.