Job Purpose: The Manager – Food & Beverage is responsible for managing all the food and beverage operations for the River Fox Train and for delivering an excellent guest experience. Will forecast, plan and manage all food and beverage orders, staff and budget. Will apply all applicable food and beverage laws, regulations and River Fox Train policies and procedures. Develops and implements business plan for food and beverage.
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight to the Food and Beverage Department – menu planning, purchasing, supply inventory, overall food production, meal presentation, table service, budgeting, and safety.
- Cook à la carte items.
- Maintain cleanliness and sanitation of equipment, food storage, and work areas.
- Ensure high quality of food in taste and appearance and ensure service is in an appropriate style while remaining in alignment with safety and budget.
- Create and maintain a high standard of service and hospitality in a team-oriented setting.
- Train and supervise all culinary associates while promoting retention and development.
- Ensure compliance with, preparation, and maintenance of required records and reports..
- Ensure food safety and compliance with all applicable company, local, state, and federal sanitation and food handling procedures and regulations.
- Promote and contribute to the positive reputation and perception of the department including management and associates
- Serve as an active and valuable member of the leadership team and other task groups as appropriate, providing support and guidance to other department leaders.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Able to prepare food according to recipes.
- Skills in preparing specialized dishes for specific diets.
- Proven skills in computing recipes and costing.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Superior organization skills.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in hospitality management or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 2 years of experience as an Executive Chef or Sous Chef in a commercial kitchen preferred.
- Current Food Safety Manager's permit or equivalent as regulated by state and local authorities.
Working Conditions and Travel
- Weekend work throughout the year, along with a variety of hours, including weekdays and holidays.
- Will work in a stationary kitchen and a moving train.
- Able to work in in outdoor California environments in all seasons (temperatures above 100 degrees, in direct sunlight, and below 32 degrees with limited light). PPE will be provided as necessary.
- May travel to other locations within California.
· Constant and repetitive movement of fingers, hands and wrists.
· Must be able to lift containers of supplies, food and equipment up to 50 lbs.
· Must be able to bend and stoop on an occasional basis.
· Must be able to stand or walk up to two hours on moving train.
· Must be able to perform duties on a moving train.
Mendocino Railway – Sacramento River Fox Train is an Equal Opportunity Employer