Experienced Bus Operators who meet the following minimum qualifications and successfully complete the recruitment process will be placed in the second step of the wage progression and offered a starting hourly wage rate of $24.03 per hour (equivalent to 70% of the applicable top operator hourly wage rate). This opportunity is for External candidates who meet the following qualifications:
- Possession of a valid California Class B driver's license with Passenger and Airbrake endorsements, current VTT or School Bus Certificate for a type 1 vehicle, and current medical certificate.
- Two (2) years of verifiable Operator experience in a type 1 vehicle with a good driving record; and four (4) additional years of verifiable driving experience (any type of vehicle) with a good record.
- Two (2) years of customer service experience that includes providing information and/or assistance directly to the public.
CURRENT VTT OR CURRENT SCHOOL BUS CERTIFICATE AND CURRENT MEDICAL CERTIFICATE ARE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION
*Incentive Bonuses Available!
$1000 – In the second pay period of employment
$1000 – At the completion of probation.
The purpose of this position is to operate District coaches ensuring safe and timely transport of passengers. This is accomplished by maintaining designated route schedules; assisting passengers; handling and controlling disruptive passengers; recognizing and resolving circumstances or events that impact proper operation; inspecting coaches; completing reports; collecting fares; inspecting passes; and providing special assistance to passengers with disabilities. Duties may vary based on route, physical demands, equipment and clientele. Other duties include performing special service duties and other special assignments per dispatch.
- Operates coach/bus; follows safe, defensive driving practices; follows District operating policies and procedures; maintains schedules; collects fares; validates passes; operates radio; makes announcements; enters announcements into automated system; follows prescribed route; performs special service assignments, bus bridges, fill services and acts as replacement drivers; assists in training new drivers.
- Performs customer service activities; reacts to and manages passenger conflicts and disruptive/hostile/abusive passengers; assists passengers with directions, information, rules, and regulations; assists with 911 emergency situations as directed; assists boarding/exiting passengers; assists with securing carts, strollers, luggage, and other belongings; assists passengers who need special assistance.
- Performs pre-trip safety inspection; conducts coach inspections as needed; promotes passenger safety awareness; identifies potential safety concerns; reports coach trouble/malfunction, traffic problems, road hazards and accidents; troubleshoots en route problems; reports unusual activities to Police; completes paperwork including time slips, day card, arrival and departure times, occurrence/incident reports, passenger counts, types of fares used, and log books.
Initially candidate will be appointed to the classification of Community Bus Services (CBS) Operator starting with Microtransit service, then CBS neighborhood service and then to main line service.
Formal Education: High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
Experience: Two (2) years of customer service experience that includes providing information and/or assistance directly to the public and two (2) years of verifiable Operator experience in a type 1 vehicle with a good driving record; and four (4) additional years of verifiable driving experience (any type of vehicle) with a good record.
Certification & Other Requirements: Possession of a valid California Class B driver's license with Passenger and Airbrake endorsements, current VTT or School Bus Certificate for a type 1 vehicle, and current medical certificate.
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee that a candidate will be invited to participate in other examination segments of the selection process. An employment application is required for this position. Applications, job announcements, and copies of the complete job description are available through our website at www.sacrt.com.
Completed employment application, VTT or school bus certificate as outlined above, must be submitted online. SacRT will not process incomplete applications. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of an application, but may be included with the application. For more information on benefits, a summary sheet is available from the Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment process to accommodate candidates with disabilities. For more information, contact the Human Resources Department at (916) 556-0298.
*Incentive Program effective as of October 16, 2021 training class.
As SacRT moves forward with more bus service, the district is now offering new recruitment and retention incentives to hire and keep more highly skilled bus operators.
SacRT is offering an Operator Hiring Incentive Program to newly hired operators once they complete two major milestones in the district. The first, an experienced operator will receive $1000 in the second pay period of employment and a second amount of $1000 at the completion of probation.
Recruitment incentives and referral incentives do not apply for re-hire applicants.
Please note: If you are selected and hired into the Bus Operator position, once you complete training, the District reserves the right to place you into any operator position (i.e.: Community Bus Operator, Bus Operator, and/or Light Rail Operator) based upon District needs.
Note: Although the use of certain controlled substances is now legal in California for both recreational and/or medicinal purposes, if you are not able to pass a pre-employment drug screening, you will not be considered for this position.
SacRT has a stand alone pension plan which is not part of, nor does it have reciprocity with CalPERS.
SacRT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO - Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans.
This position falls under the ATU, Local 256 Collective Bargaining Unit