Samuel Merritt University School of Nursing has adjunct faculty ( **Theory** and **Clinical** ) opportunities available at the Sacramento campus. These positions are ideal for working nurses who have expertise in disciplines of medical surgical nursing, critical care, pediatrics, maternity, community health or mental health nursing.
Adjunct faculty are responsible for creating a positive learning environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the course and implement the policies identified in the course syllabus to ensure the successful achievement of course objectives.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
• Creates a dynamic, learner centered environment that supports the diverse learning needs of the student population and that is based on educational theory, and evidence-based teaching practices.
• Models reflective and critical thinking and serves as a coach and mentor for students; confers with them on their progress and assists them in the development of learning plans to facilitate successful achievement of course objectives;
• ( **Theory** ) Meets with program faculty as needed to review the course, student evaluations and recommendations for change. ( **Clinical** ) Meets with faculty of the course prior to the first day of clinical to review clinical and course requirements.
• ( **Theory** ) Completes an appropriate orientation. ( **Clinical** ) Completes an appropriate clinical orientation to the site/s (if necessary) where the faculty member will be overseeing students; maintains and enhances competence in the clinical area of teaching.
• Plans learning experiences that are appropriate for the level of the students.
• Reviews written assignments and provides appropriate, timely, written feedback; documents student progress on appropriate forms and if necessary, provides a learning plan for the attainment of objectives.
• Evaluates learner performance and provides ongoing feedback to students on attainment of course objectives.
• ( **Theory** ) Apprises students of their progress in the course at the mid-term point, as defined in the syllabus, and for those who are not meeting expectations, establishes a mutual learning plan to achieve stated goals. ( **Clinical** ) Completes a formal, written midterm and final evaluation on a designated form for each student.
• **Theory** ) Submits grades to the Registrar by the appointed date in the Academic Calendar. ( **Clinical** ) Submits the students’ final clinical evaluations for filing to the Program administrative assistant.
• ( **Theory** ) Notifies Program Director of at-risk students as soon as identified and at least weekly thereafter. ( **Clinical** ) Notifies Course Manager of at-risk students or unusual occurrences in the clinical setting as soon as identified and at least weekly thereafter.
• ( **Theory** ) Participates in program faculty meetings as needed. ( **Clinical** ) Participates in faculty course meetings during the semester.
**Education and Experience:**
• Masters in Nursing or related field (required for theory; preferred for clinical)
• Demonstrated current competence in theory or clinical area
• Effective leadership and communication skills
• Past experience in theory or clinical teaching preferred
• Unencumbered RN license or license eligible in California
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information regarding adjunct opportunities.
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.
**Primary Location:** California, Greater Sacramento Area, Sacramento
**Organization:** Samuel Merritt University
**Employee Status:** Regular
**Employee Referral Bonus:** No
**Position Status:** Exempt
**Job Shift:** Day
**Shift Hours:** 6 Hour Shift
**Days of the Week Scheduled:** Monday-Friday
**Weekend Requirements:** Other
**Schedule:** Part Time
**Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period:** 10 plus (Flexible)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Sutter Health values and supports the unique talents and strengths that each employee brings to our organization. As a result, you are empowered to apply your passion for healing in innovative ways to care for patients and their families.
Collaborating with the best and the brightest means a dynamic, fulfilling work experience for you – and excellent, personalized care for all those we serve.