The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities is seeking to fill a Program Specialist position in the Government Affairs section. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional analytical and interpersonal skills and will provide policy support to the Office of the Director for the Department of Utilities, the City Manager's Office, the City Council, and the Water Committee. Familiarity with California's water resources and legislative and regulatory processes is desirable and experience in water or natural resources management, public policy development and governmental affairs.
- Coordinating with contract lobbyists and the City Manger's Office to identify legislative and regulatory priorities and to develop an advocacy implementation process strategy;
- Tracking and analyzing legislation relevant to the Department; preparing legislative
- Tracking and analyzing regulatory proceedings affecting the Department, including, but not limited to, the areas of flood control, flood plain management, water quality, water rights, the Delta, water conservation and groundwater management.
- Staffing the City Council Water Committee;
- Setting up and conducting tours of Department facilities for legislative or regulatory staff members;
- Representing the Department on boards, commissions, associations, and joint powers authorities;
- Communicating the needs of the Department and working closely with various organziations and agencies on issues of common interest; and
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with City staff and with local, state, and federal staff and elected officials.
- Plans, coordinates, and administers a project or program with department or Citywide impact; supervises, trains and evaluates the work of professional, technical and clerical staff.
- Confers with department heads, division managers, members of professional staff, and other officials.
- Represents the program in contacts with news media, business and civic organizations, other City departments, and various outside public and private
- Interprets new policies, procedures, and regulations, and develops new or amended
programs or projects as need dictates.
- Conducts studies and surveys, performs research and analysis and prepares
recommendations for department management.
- Identifies program, project or system enhancements.
- Provides exceptional customer service to those contacted in the course of work.
- Other related duties may also be performed; not all duties listed are necessarily
performed by each individual holding this classification.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Four years of progressively responsible professional-level administrative experience.
A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business or public administration or a closely related field.
For additional information regarding this position please visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726. Recruitment number 001799-19-DOU