The Cook is responsible for preparing and serving attractive, nutritionally balanced meals for the children. This position is responsible for maintaining high standards of quality food production and portion control using standard recipes and also for appropriate quantities of food needed to meet menu requirements. In addition to assisting the children during their meal times, encouraging and teaching portion control, the Cook encourages the children to try new foods and observe basic nutrition habits as they make their own salads from a selection of seasonal fruits and vegetables.
In addition, the Cook will possess a Food Handler Certificate, following all guidelines set forth by Community Care Licensing, USDA National Breakfast & Lunch School Program. This position also performs a variety of maintenance tasks such as sweeping, light mopping, and maintaining refrigerators, freezers and store rooms in a neat and clean order. In the absence of the Kitchen Supervisor, this position may be responsible for the food service department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Food Preparation and Serving
- Under direction of the Kitchen Supervisor, plans, prepares and serves attractive and nutritionally balanced meals for the children, promoting and reinforcing good nutritional habits; trying new foods, portion control and a balanced
- Utilize Production Worksheets to plan proper amounts of ingredients to prepare menu items sufficient for the number of clients to be
- Adhere to ingredients, measurements and cooking methods as stated on the recipes to meet the nutritional requirements (maintain 30% total fat content of meals).
- Ensure that food supplies are securely
- Meet Title 22 sanitation requirements, including but not limited to:
- Wears proper cooking attire (i.e. apron, hat or hair net, gloves, ).
- Instructs others to wearing proper attire during food
- Uses proper dishwashing
- Cleans kitchen areas after each meal is
- Alert the Kitchen Supervisor or Maintenance Department to maintenance requests asking for unsafe equipment to be removed and/or assistance with cleaning difficult to clean food preparation
- Assist the Kitchen Supervisor with ordering food and supplies as
Supervision of Children
- Provides direct child care to the client’s reinforcing safety and sanitation while providing supervision and guidelines to client’s while working in the
- Provide supervision to children who are assigned to assist in meal Responsible for creating a favorable group climate in which the child’s safety, emotional nurturing and healthy development are of primary concern.
- Assist children in understanding nutritional principals, work ethics, safety and basic job
- Work cooperatively with the group home Residential Staff as an advisor to them regarding food preparation of all meals on the
- Provides the following specialized services while maintaining the parental function of safety and supervision of all children working in his/her area:
- Trains and assists clients with life skills such as how to prepare nutritious meals and food safety.
- Acts as a supervisor and role model to children while working together to accomplish the above job
- Intervene in crisis situations as learned in Agency approved Crisis Intervention training to ensure the safety of clients and
- Attend staff training as necessary or
- Attend appropriate staff meetings as