Under the direction of the Program Supervisor or Supervisor on Duty, the Residential Counselor is responsible for the daily care and supervision of agency clients and living conditions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for creating a favorable group climate in which the child’s safety, emotional nurturing and healthy development are of primary
- Provides child care and supervision for the
- Responsible for the hour by hour care, safety, supervision, protection, guidance and discipline of the group as a whole and for each child as an
- Responsible for meeting the health and personal hygiene needs of minors under their care (report any medical concerns to medical staff, provide supplies and direction for proper standards of personal care, ).
- Provide a caring, warm environment for the children through setting clear boundaries, supporting, encouraging, and giving verbal praise and acknowledgment to children for positive actions and decisions to help build self-esteem, age appropriate interpersonal skills, positive thinking, problem solving, proper language, coping skills, respect for others and self and brainstorming alternative, appropriate behaviors, .
- Maintain knowledge of the value based level system and how it applies to each
- Maintain discipline and group control at all time, reporting any unresolved conflicts to a supervisor in a timely
- Pro-act and check in with the children frequently to prevent crisis After an incident has occurred, follow-up and process with the child to prevent further crisis situations and complete any necessary documentation.
- Intervene in crisis situations as learned in Therapeutic Crisis Intervention (TCI) to ensure the safety of clients and
- Serve snacks to the clients in coordination with other staff, per approved Maintain a pleasant and cheerful mealtime atmosphere, and dine with the children during mealtimes, modeling appropriate behavior, table manners, etc.
- Ensure that children are properly dressed for various occasions and see that their clothing is appropriately cleaned and
- Provide transportation for children as directed by a supervisor as necessary and in accordance with the agency transport
- In collaboration with the Recreation Department, structure recreational/craft activities to enhance each child’s social and physical
- Responsible for being an informed and supportive team
- Responsible for reading dorm log and incident
- Responsible for critical observations and objective recording of children’s behavior for team
- Responsible for maintaining a neat and orderly dorm area, meeting all Title 22 regulations and the health and safety codes required of this
- Performs routine household duties, including but not limited to: vacuuming, dusting, laundry, cleaning bathrooms, making beds, cleaning and organizing closets,
- Supervises the chores and work project of
- Accountable for reporting building and equipment damage and/or unsafe conditions and initiate action to correct any unsafe
- Must be familiar with, and have the ability to carry out, all emergency/disaster
- Provides orientation, training and support to new Residential staff, volunteers, interns, foster grandparents and any other auxiliary
- Attends and participates in regular staff meetings regarding program
- Attends mandatory in-service
- Complete written documentation per program requirements, and in compliance with agency policy and
- Attend and participate in team meetings to be aware of and facilitate the development and application of needs and services treatment plans for each child, providing documentation as
- Ensure accurate recording of worked hours and notify a supervisor of any discrepancies in a timely manner and in accordance with agency
- Performs other duties as