The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities is recruiting for the position Utilities Services Inspector. This position conducts field inspections and investigations relevant to determining utility service billing rates, the type and frequency of service needed, to status of utility accounts and to assure compliance with appropriate codes, policies, laws, and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Inspect all new subdivisions, sporadic construction, and room additions to establish rates for service; monitor for completion and occupancy.
- At the customers' request, conduct site inspections to determine if a rate adjustment or exemption is appropriate.
- Investigate customer complaints on City service; explain the City's billing system and applicable ordinances.
- Process information of the status of accounts including the opening of new accounts, address change, rate changes, and parcel numbers.
- Research records for change of ownership, correct parcel number, correct mailing address, and other needed information.
- Maintain records on inspections and prepare reports as necessary.
- Testify in court as required.
- Report suspected violation of health, safety, zoning, or other code violations to the appropriate agency.
- Investigate businesses to determine if they are in compliance with City ordinances; issue warnings and citations, if necessary.
- Accept business and residential utility service payments and issue appropriate receipts.
- Inspect commercial establishments to determine type and frequency of garbage service needed and issue citations, if necessary, to establishments that do not utilize City garbage service pursuant to City Codes.
- Investigate reports of inappropriate waste collection and disposal.
- Provide assistance to clerical staff.
- Provide information and prepare correspondence related to utility service, license, or water waste.
- Provide exceptional customer service to those contacted in the course of work.
- Other related duties may also be performed; not all duties listed are necessairily performed by each individual holding this classification.
- City streets and boundaries.
- Investigate principles and practices.
- Basic English grammar.
- Learn and explain the rules, regulations, and ordinances applying to billing and services in the department assigned and apply this knowledge to specific work problems. .
- Deal tactfully and firmly with the public.
- Establish effective working relationships with the public and other City employees.
- Read and write the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Learn to use an on-line automated utility billing system in order to conduct research of customer accounts.
- Work without immediate supervision.
- Maintain routine logs and records.
One year of experience involving considerable public contact in field or office work.
For more information, or to apply for this position, please visit the City of Sacramento website http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities. For questions concerning this job announcement:
- Send an email to email@example.com;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.
Reference job number 016099-19-DOU.