A Police Recruit is an entry level position and is someone who does not have police/peace officer experience or training within the State of California. This classification applies to police officers from other states and federal law enforcement officers who do not possess a California P.O.S.T. Academy Certificate. The San Jose Police Department does not accept the California P.O.S.T. Waiver.
STEP #1: MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
You must meet the following qualifications. If you meet them, move on to step #2.
- At least 21 years old at the time of the academy. The mandatory retirement age is 70 years old.
- A valid United States driver's license.
- U.S. high school diploma or general education diploma (GED). Waived, if you have a college degree, from an accredited college within the U.S.
- You must have 40 semester college credits or 60 quarter college credits from a U.S. accredited college or university OR have completed (4) four years of active military duty in the US Air Force, Army, Marine, Navy, or Coast Guard and have received or anticipate receiving an honorable discharge. (We cannot accept in-progress credits or credits from another police academy) Click here for more Information on accredited institutions accepted.
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship.
- Must have at least 20/40 uncorrected vision. View our vision require-ments.
- No felony, domestic violence, misdemeanor assault convictions or currently on probation or parole.
STEP #2: SUBMIT APPLICATION If you meet the qualifications, Apply Here