The purpose of this role is to plan, organize, and manage construction project efforts, ensuring projects are completed on time, on budget, and of exceptional quality. This role has primary responsibility for the achievement of project objectives in area of specialty (Grading, Paving, Underground, Concrete, or Structures), and for maintaining a safe and profitable work environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively supports the achievement of construction goals and objectives by applying knowledge of Specialty area (Grading, Paving, Underground, Concrete, or Structures). Continuously strives to improve day-to-day processes and practices; ensures project activities remain focused on priorities and customer expectations and feedback.
- Collaborates across specialties and business areas and builds consistency in construction and safety practices and procedures on all project efforts. Ensures policies, procedures, and standards are adhered to as well as protect the company’s interests.
- Prepares construction specialty workforce for evolving business needs. Manages staffing and corresponding costs, balancing short and long-term needs for people (skills/manpower). Maximizes performance, accountability, and motivation of workforce while maintaining morale. Models innovative/effective management practices.
- Promotes and protects Teichert’s values including diversity, teamwork, fair work environment, and respect of others. Maintains a “team” spirit within the business areas. Works and cooperates with other disciplines (across company lines) to ensure maximum and best use of resources.
- Promotes and protects the community perception of Teichert.
TECHNICAL & SPECIALTY AREAS
- Aspires to achieve a zero injury culture through visible support of Teichert’s Injury Prevention and Safety program, the implementation/interpretation of safety programs, active participation in safety meetings and training sessions and ensuring required safety training for craft is completed. Proactively identifies, and communicates, safety improvements and hazardous/potentially hazardous conditions to maintain a safe, healthy work environment and meet corporate safety standards.
- Ensures assigned projects are completed in accordance with designs, specifications, budgets, and schedules. Establishes project standards. Plans, directs, and supervises projects, specialty function, and field personnel in accordance with project standards and company policies and procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for productivity of specialty staff and craft personnel, efficient use of material, equipment, and resources. Analyzes plans and schedules resources. Establishes, manages, and distributes workflow and workload. Determines technical direction and methods of construction for assigned projects. Prepares work sequence. Proactively communicates information (plans, specifications, and breakdowns) to craft/field personnel.
- Manages financial aspects of contracts/subcontracts (i.e. fee payment, rental equipment, income/expenses) to protect the company’s interest and simultaneously maintain good relationship with customers. This includes reviewing invoices, CCA’s, extra work billings, and resolving other cost related issues.
- Ensures maximum and efficient use of resources (people and equipment); assesses capability, location, and availability of resources, and coordinates construction resources in conjunction with other field operations functions.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with customers, A/E representatives, union officials, public agencies, contractors, and other area offices. Facilitates communication of company and project policies, procedures, and standards. May assist Industrial Relations with proactively resolving jurisdictional disputes.
- Maximizes employee performance and professional growth. Specifically, provides management direction to Assistant Superintendents and craft; motivates employees to function as a cohesive unit, oversees regularly planned meetings; develops employees by evaluating performance, providing coaching, training, and mentoring opportunities. Plays a role in recruiting.
- Completes internal administrative organization responsibilities and documentation, including project logs, files, records, and reports pertaining to specialty activities. May include safety, training, personnel and equipment resources, state and federal regulations, and foremen’s diaries. Assists in developing and maintaining written Construction Program guidelines.
ROLE QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, (or related field) or equivalent combination of technical training and related experience
Experience & Industry Expertise:
- Minimum of five years of experience in construction industry or equivalent combination of technical training and related experience
- Minimum three to five years experience supervising others
Specific Job Requirements:
- Successful completion of pre-employment drug, alcohol, and background investigation
- Valid Driver’s License
- Current on all company required safety training
- Ability to preserve confidential and proprietary information and successfully avoid conflicts-of-interest
- Good working knowledge of project management and/or estimating software
- Strong knowledge of collective bargaining agreements, personnel issues and EEO
- Strong knowledge of construction contracts/ law
- Thorough understanding of corporate and industry practices, processes, standards, technology, equipment methods, cost control, schedules, etc. and their impact on project activities
- Thorough knowledge of company’s Standard Operating Policies and Procedures
- Occasional overnight travel
- Relationship Management
- Business Acumen
- Organization and Management
- People Management
- People Development
- Technology: Microsoft Office, project management, and/or estimating software
- Technical competence in construction
Teichert is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an E-Verify Company.Objectives