The City of Sacramento, Department of Utilities is seeking to fill the position of Machinist Helper. This position performs semi-skilled work assisting journey-level machinist in the performance of duties in the machine shop and in varied field operations.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Depending upon the assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operate and maintain bench lathes, drill presses, milling and shaping machines, grinders, gas and electric welders, and other common tools used in the maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment.
- Assist in the installation, adjustment, and repair of mechanical equipment such as pumps, compressors, chlorinators, engines, motors, blowers, metering devices, and plumbing used with water, gas, oil, chemical, heating, and sewage systems.
- Assist in the maintenance of mechanical systems of electrical power plants and heating and ventilating plants.
- Assist in trouble shooting and maintenance of electrical motors and related equipment.
- Construct and repair various types of buildings, sheds, scaffolds, forms, fences, and other structures.
- Make concrete forms; mix and pour concrete.
- Build lockers, shelves, doors, and window frames.
- Drive and operate trucks and trailers, dump trucks, cranes, and forklifts.
- Load and unload trucks carrying hazardous materials and other materials; work on operating systems containing hazardous materials.
- Cut and thread pipe; pack pumps and valves.
- Scrape, paint, and finish wood, metal, and concrete surfaces.
- Clean and maintain tools, related equipment, shops, and vehicles.
- Keep simple reports and help maintain records.
- Respond to emergencies on an on-call basis as required.
- Perform related duties as required.
- The practices, tools, methods, and equipment used in machine shop and field equipment maintenance and repair.
- Maintenance and repair materials and their appropriate uses.
- Occupational hazards and safe working methods.
- Basic mechanical and construction theory and practice.
One year experience in a machine shop or in equipment maintenance and repair.
Six months experience in a machine shop or in equipment maintenance and repair and nine units of directly related training from an accredited college in a Metal Industry Technology Program, to include courses in introductory and intermediate machine tool processes, and advanced machine shop mathematics.
For more information and/or to apply for this position, please visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities. Final filing date is 12/16/19.