Under general supervision, provide support for clinicians and students in the Veterinary Teaching Hospital by serving as the first point of contact; provide medical records support; schedule appointments and process medical records data for easy retrieval; collect payments for services; enter patient charges and collect payment from clients.
-Maneuver/lift equipment and materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Perform duties at counter or desk for extended periods of time and work in confined or small spaces.
-This is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation including criminal history and identity check.
-May require working with or around areas with sick animals, hazardous materials, and/or infectious diseases, and distraught clients.
- Maintain a working schedule coordinated with team members to provide coverage between 7:30am - 7:00 pm. Monday through Friday with alternating Saturdays.
- Work variable hours and occasional overtime to meet operational needs.
-Work in other related areas on an as needed basis.
Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
- Experience assessing and recognizing emergency situations, difficult/unpleasant situations and/or individuals and take the appropriate action.
- Experience with administrative, billing, client services, and medical records in a veterinary medical environment.
- Reception experience to answer phones and assist clients.
- Experience taking messages, and preparing/proofreading correspondence, reports, and informational documents.
- Knowledge of animal anatomy, and medical terminology to provide general information and make the appropriate referrals.
- Math and analytical skills to review and correct data.
- Experience using various programs and software for word processing, spreadsheets, scheduling, entry and retrieval of medical records, and database management programs.
- Interpersonal communication and customer services skills to clearly and effectively interact with individuals of varying ages, cultural backgrounds, perspectives to secure and/or provide information to clarify situations, resolve problems, make referrals, and interact with the general public in a helpful and positive manner.
- Knowledge of VMTH admissions, records, cashiering policies and procedures affecting services, clients, and confidentiality of records and information.
- Experience with filing alphabetically, numerically, and use a terminal digit filing system.
- Ability to learn the fundamental VMTH services and standards for admissions, records, billing, disease processes, scientific terms and processes.