Under general guidance of the Business and Finance Manager, maintain, and guide the division's financial transaction services. Maintain and guide the division's project support services. Sets and ensures expectations are met by staff conducting project support and financial transactions.
Review and make recommendations for changes for division policies and procedures to ensure quality control for purchasing, vendor payments, expense distributions, error corrections/expense transfers, and reimbursements. This includes making recommendations to the Shared Services Center (SSC) Finance Team Manager where processes are completed or go through the SSC.
Serve as a liaison between IET and central units such as Accounting, A/P and Travel, SSC, Materiel Management, and other central financial organizations to clarify policies and procedures, and resolve problems. Works with the division's Budget Team and COO to ensure all accounts are maintained and transaction errors are corrected. Works with IET department directors, unit managers and the Business & Finance Manager to address quality or service issues.
Sit at a desk and in front of a computer screen for extended periods of time.
Work after regular working hours with short notice and during peak business periods;
Work in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions;
Work with a geographically dispersed team and use instant messaging, emails, video and voice conferencing to collaborate, direct and keep in touch with staff;
Travel frequently between campus and off-campus locations;
Arrange vacation time around annual fiscal close and other critical business periods.
UC Davis is a smoke and tobacco free campus effective January 1, 2014. Smoking, the use of smokeless tobacco products, and the use of unregulated nicotine products (e-cigarettes) will be strictly prohibited on any UC Davis owned or leased property, indoors and outdoors, including parking lots and residential space.
Background Check Required:
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
- Experience overseeing complex business services, which includes A/P, A/R, travel, and general accounting functions such as general ledger reviews and expense and revenue reconciliations.
- Experience to implement knowledge of financial and accounting policies and business practices.
- Experience conducting financial closing processes (monthly and annually), account reconciliation and budgeting.
- Experience using analytical skills to review complex information, policy changes, identify operational changes needed to accommodate new policies, and ways to comply with policy in an efficient and effective manner, minimizing any negative impact to the division and its clients.
- Experience reviewing complex information involving policies and procedures and implementing business process changes needed to comply with new policies and procedures.
- Experience supervising or leading a team providing business support functions in order to effectively recruit, train, evaluate, motivate, resolve conflicts, and conduct performance management.
- Experience using interpersonal skills, service orientation, active listening, critical thinking, ability to multi-task effectively in a high volume environment, organizational skills and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience using human resources policies and procedures in a supervisory role.
- Experience and ability to manage changing priorities, and manage staff time and efforts accordingly.
-Experience processing and approving financial documents that impact capital projects that utilize restricted state building funds.
-Skills and experience in mapping existing processes and implementing process changes that deliver efficiencies or quality improvement to business and administrative services.
-Knowledge and application of accounting and additional requirements for handling capital project expenses, depreciable equipment, and service contracts.
-Experience using various UC Davis financial tools such as DaFIS, Kuali, MyTravel as well as Office software, especially Microsoft Excel, in conducting financial analysis, research, and providing reports.
-Intermediate knowledge and understanding of internal control practices and their impact on protecting organizational or University resources.