SALARY: $101,124.00 - $141,600.00 Annually
DEPARTMENT: Safety & Environmental
OPENING DATE: 04/23/20
CLOSING DATE: 06/16/20 11:59 PM
RECRUITMENT TYPE: Internal/External
DMV PRINTOUT IS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
DMV printouts issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles are acceptable. As a result of the current COVID-19 State of Emergency, SacRT will accept online DMV printouts until further notice.
The Senior Manager, Environmental Health and System Safety implements, and administers a comprehensive rail and bus safety management system and environmental program for Sacramento Regional Transit (SacRT). The incumbent provides functional oversight and auditing of safety activities for SacRT and construction/capital and facility improvement projects; responds to accidents/incidents/ occurrences; provides audits/inspections including safety certification of RT field activities for compliance with safety and security requirements; interfaces with California Public Utilities Commission, Cal-OSHA, and other State and Federal regulatory agencies; has the authority and responsibility for the day-to-day implementation and operation of the agency's SMS and all levels of the organizational safety culture. This position reports to an executive manager, with dotted line reporting to the General Manager/CEO who acts as SacRT's FTA Accountable Executive.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
This is a general listing of job functions and does not represent a complete listing of the positions responsibilities.
· Manages safety management system (SMS) activities to achieve District safety and environmental goals in the areas of operational safety, occupational safety and health, construction safety, and environmental protection
· Oversees and/or performs safety audits, inspections, and testing in the areas of fire/life safety, safety certifications, and transit operations on SacRT's facilities, operating divisions, construction sites, work practices, equipment, and safety devices
· Ensures safe bus and rail operations and working conditions.
· Maintains compliance with applicable federal, state, and local safety regulations
· Promotes the reduction or elimination of occupational accidents, injuries and financial losses
· Advises management of safety requirements and obtains concurrence from management to meet regulatory safety compliance and reduce accidents and losses
· Designs, updates and Administers the SacRT Emergency Operations Plan; leading disaster exercises, training new Emergency Operations Center team members, and serving as the SacRT Disaster Preparedness Representative to other public agencies
· Provides opportunities for SacRT to participate in emergency exercises (e.g., fire drills, simulations of earthquakes, etc.) and handling equipment needs for the teams
· Performs ergonomic evaluations for employee work environments, providing training and equipment recommendations to SacRT employees and management
· Leads the Safety Certification process for specific SacRT rail system elements, providing final reports to the CPUC
· Ensures that all aspects of the FTA's SMS are developed, implemented and continuously monitored. Manages hazard identification and safety risk evaluation activities
· Investigates incidents, accidents and occurrences involving the public, contractors, and employees which involve SacRT personnel and/or property; determines the cause, and provides solutions and reports as required to regulatory agencies
· Makes recommendations to departmental management on findings, purchases, and changes to facility, equipment, methods, or procedures to correct unsafe conditions including ordering the termination of any unsafe operation
· Coordinates safety compliance reviews and inspections by outside agencies
· Evaluates various contracts, request for proposals (RFP), engineering drawings, plans for construction projects, and future transit lines for regulatory compliance, potential safety issues, and liability exposure
· Acts as a liaison with SacRT departments, labor and insurance representatives, contractors/consultants, and various outside agencies, including safety technical professionals to provide technical assistance and to ensure accurate accident/injury/occurrence reports and current applicable rules and regulations
· Conducts job site safety and hazard analysis, including performing tests on noise, ventilation, illumination, and gas release to determine compliance and sources of hazardous substances
· Evaluates construction site conditions to identify regulatory violations, working with the resident engineers and contractors to correct hazards
· Prepares and presents complex technical reports, including observations, analysis of contaminants, and recommendations for control and correction of hazards
· Formulates or participates in the formation of departmental safety policies and procedures and ensures their implementation
· Stays abreast of changing laws, regulations and procedures pertaining to safety; best practices and regulatory compliance requirements; communicates business implications, and impact to all key stakeholders including the Board of Directors, executive management, other District staff, and various public and private entities
· Coordinates, develops, and/or conducts safety education orientation for new employees and continuing safety education for all staff; serves as the primary trainer
· Prepares and presents both written and oral reports to all governing agencies, District's management, the Board of Directors, other outside agencies, and the public regarding safety and environmental activities taking place at the District
· Maintains records and files reports as required by law and regulatory requirements including OSHA, Cal-OSHA, Hazardous Materials, and Fire Codes
· Performs related duties as assigned
A combination of education and/or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. SacRT reserves the right to determine the equivalences of education and experience.
Education: Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Safety Engineering, Industrial Safety, Environmental Safety and Health or a closely related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of management experience developing and implementing operational and passenger safety, and occupational safety and health programs, and two (2) years of supervisory experience. Experience in a public transportation setting is preferred. Licenses and Certifications:
Desirable Certifications: Occupational Safety, System Safety, Accident Investigation and Certified Safety Professional.
Valid California Class C Drivers' License.
Candidates must submit a DMV printout, dated May 27, 2020 or thereafter, at time of application, in order to be considered. Only DMV printouts issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles are acceptable. As a result of the current COVID-19 State of Emergency, SacRT will accept online DMV printouts until further notice.
Proof of required education beyond high school, such as college transcripts, diplomas, and/or certificates must be submitted at the time of application, if not substituting experience for the education requirement.
FILING INSTRUCTIONS/SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION:
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee that a candidate will be invited to participate in other examination segments of the selection process. An employment application is required for this position. Applications, job announcements, and copies of the complete job description are available through our website at http://www.sacrt.com/Career/
Completed employment application, DMV printout and proof of education, as outlined above, must be submitted online no later than June 16, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. RT will not process incomplete applications. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of an application, but may be included with the application. For more information on benefits, a summary sheet is available from the Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment process to accommodate candidates with disabilities. For more information, contact the Human Resources Department at (916) 556-0298.
SacRT has a stand alone pension plan which is not part of, nor does it have reciprocity with CalPERS.
RT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE – Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans This position falls under Management and Confidential Employee Group (MCEG).