Performs highly skilled work in the set up and operation of a variety of machine tools to produce and repair precision parts, instruments and tools. This includes fabricating, modifying and repairing mechanical instruments and industrial machines. Incumbents must employ knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures.
The class of Machinist performs journey-level Maintenance Machinist duties under general supervision and is distinguished from the next lower class of Machinist Helper in that the latter performs semi-skilled work under close supervision.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by a Machinist Supervisoror a higher-level administrator or division manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Depending upon the assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
One year experience as a journey-level Machinist following completion of a recognized four year machinist training program, such as apprenticeship or military training.
Five years experience as a Machinist Helper with the City of Sacramento and 15 units of directly related training from an accredited or trade school. Courses shall consist of Machining and Manufacturing Processes, Fabrication and Welding.
Proof of Education:
Proof of education such as college transcripts and degrees must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as an attachment(s) to the online application, faxed to (916) 808-8567, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the final filing deadline. If submitting in person or via fax/email, please include your name and Recruitment #006009-18-DOU on your documents.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. This evaluation must be submitted before you will be considered for any positions.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Loss of the Class C license is cause for discipline.
Possession of a Water Distribution Operator Grade II Certification issued by the State of California is highly desirable.
Respiratory Protective Equipment:
Work in this class requires wearing respiratory protective equipment at times. When assigned to such work, facial hair must be shaven when it interferes with the safe fitting of respiratory protective equipment.
Employees in this classification must reside within thirty-five (35) air miles from the freeway interchange at W-X Streets, 29th - 30th Streets within one year following appointment.
THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application to the Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline.
3. Performance Test: (Weighted 100%) – Qualified candidates will be notified by email of the test date, time, and location approximately one to two weeks prior to the test. The performance test will be job related and may include, but not limited to, the knowledge and abilities as outlined above.
4. Eligibility - Candidates who pass the performance test will be placed on an eligible list. The hiring department may contact those on the eligible list for an interview at any time during the life of the one-year list.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer, the selected candidate must complete and pass LiveScan / fingerprinting review by Human Resources, a pre-employment controlled substance and / or alcohol test, and possess any required licensure or certification prior to receiving a start date from the Department. Failure to meet these prerequisites will be grounds for withdrawal of your conditional offer of employment.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process: