Performs various finance and accounting functions for Golden 1 Credit Union, including but not limited to financial reporting, financial analyses and maintaining financial systems/models. Act as lead for employees in the Finance area. Employees in this area are cross-trained in several aspects of finance and accounting functions and will assist the Finance Management team in special projects.
TASKS, DUTIES, FUNCTIONS:
- Develop and analyze data, supporting spreadsheets, charts, and reports to determine financial performance and profitability across markets, products, channels, and member demographics and enterprise-wide analytics. Develop and maintain financial performance-related expertise in assigned business areas to provide deep-dive analysis into metrics, trends and anomalies while providing insights to drive improvements. Coordinate the assessment of market, product, member, and channel performance to identify gaps and additional value areas to maximize performance.
- Compile data and prepare accounting/financial management reports for the Credit Union including, but not limited to, information for management reports related to the production of the Financial Plan and supporting budget, reports analyzing credit union position in relation to "peer" credit unions, reports analyzing data and profitability by channels and markets, reports analyzing the financial strength and stability of the credit union, analysis of the monthly financial statements and rate/volume variance reports for interest income and expense analysis, liquidity, investments as it relates to production of the Financial Plan, and ad hoc reporting.
- Lead and conduct the coordination, development, and maintenance of a multi-year ongoing Financial Plan, including strategic initiatives, human capital management, financial budget, and goal achievement.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the general ledger accounts and financial statements, analyze, and communicate variances in support of the financial plan, profitability, and market and channel data.
- Analyze data and lead the research and development efforts undertaken to improve the Credit Union's products, services, and operations. Interface with various divisions to understand data and underlying operational processes. Gather and integrate data and contextual information to design rigorous analyses to support carefully crafted projections. Document approaches, assumptions, and findings.
- Prepare or create the more difficult or complex financial models, analyses, and spreadsheets that effectively present data and analytical findings as needed. Utilize advanced data analytics tools and techniques to build periodic trend analysis reports, presenting insights and findings that are relevant, actionable and visually appealing to management. Develop and provide written and verbal recommendations and alternative solutions based on the results of analyses, taking into consideration internal and external factors and the Credit Union's strategic goals and initiatives.
- Develop and maintain metrics, graphs, reports and any other means to measure and monitor Golden 1's financial position. This includes: querying, researching, analyzing, interpreting, and communicating qualitative and quantitative data associated with the credit union's financial strength and stability.
- Contribute to the development of tools and capabilities to create a truly "data-driven" culture.
- When engaged to do so, develop models around new programs and offerings, including revenue and cost impact of various alternatives. Work with various teams across the organization to develop benchmarking and recommendations. Collaborate with management and other areas of the Credit Union to define, analyze and study financial performance-related issues and data. This includes evaluating operational efficiency and effectiveness by researching and analyzing internal and/or external industry trends, markets and other operational benchmarks. Gathers, consolidates, prepares and validates data for analysis; prepares executive summaries and presents recommendations to management.
- Recommend enhancements to analytical modeling tools to further support strategic plans and initiatives. Increase productivity by developing automated applications, eliminating duplications and coordinating information requirements.
- Ensure data for all reports is accurate and reports are prepared in a timely and thorough manner.
- Update and maintain computerized finance/accounting models including, but not limited to profitability and budget models, analyze results through reports, graphs and other analytical tools, and make recommendations.
- Utilize various computer financial information systems including but not limited to current organization-wide and/or department specific software in the preparation of analyses, evaluation and reports.
- Contribute to and lead the creation of deliverables including preparing various and wide-ranging reports pertaining to corporate strategy.
- Manage implementation of various projects and validation for the Finance area
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal laws and regulations related to credit union compliance including bank secrecy and anti-money laundering laws appropriate to the position.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and training to employees in the department.
- Monitor progress toward significant strategic goals and policies.
- Maintain a current procedure manual for position functions.
- Conduct special studies, reviews, analyses, and all other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXERTION UTILIZED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE TASKS:
- Effective oral and written communication skills required to prepare reports and perform other related tasks.
- Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to skillfully operate an on-line computer terminal and other standard office equipment, such as financial calculators, personal computer, facsimile machine and telephone.
- Hand-eye coordination required to read, post, and handle complex computer programs and reports.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTACTS & RELATIONSHIPS:
- INTERNAL: All levels of staff and management.
- EXTERNAL: Vendors, external auditors and other financial institutions and other business sources.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree; preferably in Accounting, Finance, or Economics.
- EXPERIENCE: Five years related accounting and/or financial analyst experience.
- KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS: Strong personal computer skills (Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat), Strong knowledge of GAAP, financial analysis, budgeting, and credit union accounting policies and practices; strong research, quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis; strong time management, organizational skills; ability to multi-task effectively; make sound decisions in the absence of detailed instructions and work on own initiative; ability to use logical reasoning when interpreting facts; ability to make objective observations, examinations, evaluations, and written recommendations; strong independent work methods; ten key; numerical skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; excellent problem solving and interpretation skills.
- Prolonged sitting throughout the workday with occasional mobility required.
- Corrected vision within the normal range.
- Hearing within normal range. A device to enhance hearing will be provided if needed.
- Ability to lift 15 lbs. as may be required
- .Occasional movements throughout the department daily to interact with staff, accomplish tasks, etc.
- Minimal travel to attend meetings by car and/or public conveyance for conferences or training session held at out-of-area locations or across the United States (1--2 times per year).