The Home Loan Advisor - External will proactively solicit new residential mortgage loans to meet established loan quality and production goals. They will develop and maintain a strong network of business relationships to ensure a recurring source for mortgage loan referrals. This network includes mortgage professionals, builders, other professional and personal contacts, and any other referral source the Advisor develops. The external Advisor will enhance this network by regularly participating in business related development opportunities, community events and professional organizations. They will also be expected to handle branch or call center generated referrals only when the member requests an in person meeting. They will provide our members with the same exceptional service they give to their self-generated referrals and always conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner. The Advisor shall maintain a thorough understanding of the lending programs, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements.
TASKS, DUTIES, FUNCTIONS:
- Discuss mortgage product options via phone, email or in person with prospective and current borrowers.
- Assist the member with an appropriate product selection, lock request and provide applicable disclosures as required by law, and dictated by credit union processes.
- Complete an initial assessment of the mortgage application including a review of credit, financial data and collateral information to identify underwriting concerns upfront.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal laws and regulations related to credit union compliance including RESPA, HPML, HOEPA, HCML, ATR/QM, bank secrecy and anti-money laundering laws appropriate to the position.
- Manage mortgage loan pipeline closely to ensure loans are attended to promptly, efficiently and accurately to ensure exceptional service by providing a market leading turn time on applications.
- This includes renegotiating the interest rate and loan terms due to a change in the initial qualification caused by collateral, income or financial data verification. Demonstrate the ability to delicately handle difficult situations while maintaining complete professionalism.
- Work closely with the mortgage resource center and operations staff to ensure the mortgage loan is being moved along in accordance with the credit union standards.
- Consistently notate conversations with member in the LOS to ensure proper communication.
PHYSICAL SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXERTION UTILIZED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE TASKS:
- Effective oral and written communication skills required to interact with members, branches, call center staff and other outside contacts on the telephone.
- Must possess sufficient dexterity to skillfully operate an on-line computer terminal and other standard office equipment such as financial calculators, personal computer, facsimile machione and telephone.
ORGANIZATIONAL CONTACTS & RELATIONSHIPS:
- INTERNAL: Mortgage operations staff, applicable supporting department staff, branch staff, contact center staff, and management
- EXTERNAL: Member(s), prospective borrowers, realtors, builders, applicable third party vendors, governmental agencies and personal and professional contacts
- EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent work experience or four year college degree preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum five years in a mortgage related function with at least two years of generating self-sourced business.
- Exceptional member service skills.
- Strong credit and general financial analysis.
- Current working knowledge of the mortgage industry.
- Excellent ability to collect and report information on market conditions including competitive product and service offerings.
- Understanding of the secondary market including governmental programs.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Develop and maintain advisory and consultative home loan skills.
- Working knowledge of office equipment and intermediate computer skills including excel.
- Prolonged sitting throughout the workday with occasional mobility required.
- Corrected vision within the normal range.
- A device to enhance hearing will be provided if needed.
- Travel by car is required to visit with applicants, partners and vendors
- Travel by plane or other public conveyance is required to attend meetings at headquarters or to attend conferences/training as deemed necessary by management.
- An individual in this position has been determined to be a Mortgage Loan Originator as defined by the S.A.F.E Act and whose responsibilities include taking applications and discusses terms or negotiates rates on loans secured by real property.
- A valid California driver's license and a clear driving record are required.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Golden 1 Home Loans team! If you are selected to participate in the interview process, we will contact you.